AVA has launched a new research project to explore and develop responses to adult family abuse/violence. The working title of the project is ‘Hear ME (Mother’s Experiences)’.
The aims of the project are:
- Increase knowledge around adult child to parent abuse
- Uncovering barriers and patterns in accessing support
- Develop practical guidance for professionals
- Develop clear recommendations for policy and inform national debate.
AVA are recruiting Peer Researchers for a new research project – ‘Hear ME (Mother’s Experiences)’*
We are looking to recruit up to 5 women as peer researchers who:
- Have experienced abuse/violence from adult children (aged 18 and above)
- We are also interested in working alongside women who have: experienced mental ill health, used substances in a way that has impacted on their well-being (substances may include alcohol, illegal drugs, prescribed and over-the counter medications), had contact with the criminal justice system, experienced homelessness, have been involved in sex work or faced sexual exploitation.
Is this project suitable for me or the women I work with?
You do not need to have done anything like this before. We are looking for women with lived experience who understand the lives and journeys of women they are researching and feel able to share their own stories. Peer researchers will be given training and be supported to undertake the research – this is also about building your skills and confidence and we want to support you to do that.
This project has been funded with the support of The Emmanuel Kaye Foundation and we are able to offer some financial compensation in order to participate.
We want to ensure that women’s voices are at the centre of helping to improve understanding and responses regarding violence and abuse from adult children towards their mothers.
How to apply?
Full details of the project are included in the application form which can be downloaded below:
If you would like to speak with someone about the project or the application process, please email the Project Manager, Dhriti Suresh Eapen – firstname.lastname@example.org and she will be happy to arrange a time to speak with you.