Date(s) - 23 Jan 2018
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Location The Foundry 17 Oval way London SE11 5RR United Kingdom
Safeguarding vulnerable adults from gender based abuse is a free, one day, CPD accredited course taking place in January in London. Please only apply if you work in London with women and girls experiencing or at risk of gendered violence and abuse.
Research shows that gender based violence and abuse disproportionately affects adults with care and support needs. This includes disabled people, people with mental ill-health, older people and people with problematic substance use issues.
Safeguarding vulnerable adults from gender based abuse looks at gender based abuse and people with care and support needs. Additionally, it looks at the implications of the Care Act in the context of gender based violence. It will help you to identify survivors’ rights under the Act. It will help you to also identify duties of local authorities and other service providers. The course also includes how to respond appropriately to disclosures of abuse. Additionally, the course will look at what support and interventions are available for survivors. You will also learn about risk, harm and resilience.
- Greater awareness of the links between gender based violence and abuse and those with care and support needs including: disability, mental ill-health, problematic substance use and older people.
- Understanding of the implications of the Care Act for vulnerable adults experiencing gender based violence and abuse.
- Bust the myths and realities about gender based violence and abuse
- Think about the barriers to help seeking, especially in relation to additional support and care needs.
- Increased knowledge about support and interventions for individuals with care support needs who are experiencing gender based violence and abuse.
- Look at the complicated issues of risk, change and accessing effective support.
- Increase best practice working with vulnerable adults who have experienced gender based violence and abuse.
Who is this for?
Safeguarding vulnerable adults from gender based abuse is for anyone working with adults with wider support needs including older people, mental ill-health, substance use or disability, who are also experiencing domestic violence or are at risk.
This FREE training is part of the ASCENT Project by the London VAWG Consortium, funded by London Councils. Due to funding, to come to this training you must work in London with women and girls who have experienced or are at risk of gendered violence and abuse. Only 16 places are available, and no more than two delegates from each organisation can attend.
The course has 5 CPD points. You can find out more about Continuing Professional Development here.
AVA’s free courses are very popular, therefore applications that are not finished will not be considered.
Applications for this training will close on 9th January 2018 at midnight. If you have applied, we will contact you on or around the 16th January 2018 to tell you if your application has been successful.