Date(s) - 09 Jun 2020
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Domestic and sexual violence, substance use and mental ill-health are three issues which often co-exist. And when they do, things can become complicated. This online training is designed to ‘uncomplicate’ matters by raising awareness about how domestic abuse, sexual violence, mental health and substance use issues intersect and to offer effective ways to engage with individuals and families who are affected by these issues.
By the end of the course, you will:
- Be able to explain the links between experiences of domestic and sexual violence, mental ill-health and substance use.
- Have a better understanding of the impact of each issue on children and parenting.
- Know how to ask about each of the issues in an appropriate manner.
- Be better able to identify ways to increase safety for survivors and their children.
- Have greater knowledge of possible referral pathways and support services.
- Understand the difficulties survivors with complex needs face in making change.
- Be familiar with ways to encourage survivors to engage with services and how to meet their needs
- Have practical, adaptable tools which enable organisations to improve policy and practice.
Eligibility/Who should attend?
The course is relevant for any practitioner whose work brings them into contact with survivors of domestic and sexual violence, who may also be affected by substance use and/or mental ill-health.
This course is delivered online and involves self-guided learning and an interactive training session. A week before the session, you will receive the materials for you to work through in your own time and should take no longer than an hour to complete. The training session is tutor led and will last for three hours, including a 20 minute break. In our virtual classroom, you will explore some of the topics from the self-guided learning in more depth and cover new topics. The training session will involve tutor presentation, question and answer opportunities and group work activities.
This event is fully booked.