AVA works to inform and influence policy at a national and local level, both within government bodies and service providing organisations.
Our aims are always to improve services for people affected by gender based violence and improve prevention of violence and abuse against women and girls.
Current and recent policy work includes
- Support and advice for Mental Health Trusts wanting to improve their responses to domestic and sexual abuse through our BARTA (Be Aware and Respond To Abuse) programme.
- Consultancy and training support to the Royal Navy to develop responses to domestic and sexual violence in line with Ministry of Defence guidance.
- Chairing the national steering group of the IRIS (Identification and Referral to Improve Safety) programme, which works with General Practitioner practices to improve services for women affected by domestic violence and abuse.
- Coordinating the young people’s reference group for the NICE guidelines on child abuse and neglect.
- Developing best practice guidance for the Welsh Assembly on preventing gender based violence and abuse in education settings.
- Providing advice and written content for the Home Office ‘This is Abuse’ Campaign.
- Working on national guidance on Adolescent to Parent violence and abuse with the Home Office, Youth Justice Board, Oxford University, Respect and National College of Policing.
If you would like further information about how we can help inform your policies please contact us.